Friday, September 21, 2007

Going Green


So I know that this is the new bandwagon to be on....everyone going green, keeping the environment pure and whole. but there is something to be said for how much waste goes into our dumps and how much we do not recycle. It has been in the back of my mind. I have always recycled cans, aluminum, paper, etc.....but what else could i be doing? So while i was on a weekly grocery run i found the fred meyer reusable sacks...bought about 3. I had just taken in my 6 month supply of plastic sacks..in a huge toys r us sack, that is a lot of plastic. I make sure that anything plastic or paper goes in my recylcing pile (which has now doubled) and I make sure that all of our light bulbs are flourscent. I walk the kids to school each day. I keep our lights off during the day and only one on at night(which helps with the pge bill too). I just read the other day that liquid laundry soap and dishwasher detergent takes more resources to make....so I think i will switch to granule kind. We are hoping to buy more energy effecient washer and dryer to cut down on waste.


I know that some people live green like there is no tomorrow. But every little bit counts in my opinion. I don't want to be the cause of those cute little polar bears not having ice to hunt on anymore. (he he). I will probably never be able to get thad to fertilize with natural resources....scotts rules according to him. but we have switched to non chemical cleaning supplies in our house, which now i don't have headaches when i clean. and this summer we gathered some ladybugs to eat the aphids on some of our plants (the kids loved that).


So here is my soapbox.....not completely granola...just little infusions every now and then. just being more concious of my efforts and the efforts of those around me. here are a few sites to view the impact of our living:

0 comments: